It is not always easy to see when your drinking habits have changed from social use to problem drinking substance abuse. If you are concerned about the role alcohol plays in your life then ask yourself these questions:
- Is one drink of wine or beer never enough?
- Am I secretive or dishonest to others about the amount I drink?
- Am I constantly thinking or craving about when my next drink will be?
- Am I defensive when questioned or challenged about how much I drink?
- Do I binge drink alone?
- Do I struggle to work effectively?
- Do I drink to help me cope with difficult situations?
- Do other people warn me about my drinking levels?
- Do I have an inability to control my alcohol consumption?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these above questions then you may need to seek support and professional help in cutting down the amount you are drinking. Often the hardest step is acknowledging that you have a alcohol dependence. However, once you have achieved this then you have taken the first step towards getting better and well.